Food is heaven to some people and cooking is divine to others. Cooking is easy if you master the art of cooking. But unlike everything else, cooking is also easy to mess up. You need skill, passion and taste in your hands and give in everything for what it takes to be a cook. It’s not just about only the beginners but even the professional cooks too make some mistakes. It takes some great skill to cook great food. It is certainly not a child’s play. It is a skill that will help you throughout and unlike the common perception that the girls should cook, everyone should cook. If you live away from family and you know how to cook, that would be perfect. It would be a blessing in disguise.
Living in hostels, I have learnt quite a few mistakes that everyone does while cooking, even I did them. Look at those mistakes.
1. For thin crust pizza, people make the dough go too thin. It won’t be easy to put toppings on it.
2. Boiling a meat dish by adding too much liquid to it. This won’t help if you mean to braise.
3.Cubing your butter. Use a cheese grater instead of it.
4. Loading pizza with too many toppings. This will not make it merrier but will make it worse.
5. Having an unfavourable temperature while making biscuits. Room temperature will make your biscuits worse.
6. Streaming a dish with the lid on when you want to get rid of the water. The water level will be same or reduce very slowly.
7. Cooking bacon in the skillet instead of an oven. Doing it in skillet will ruin it.
8. Don’t use a mixer while making biscuits. This will make everything worse.
9. Not pre cooking the toppings. Some toppings can be chopped and used in the app but since need to be pre cooked.
10. Stir frying vegetables on the highest heat when instead you mean to slowly saute. Most people do this mistake.
11. Not spinning the salad. This will ultimately lead to dirt in your mouth.
12. Not recognizing that some things take longer to cook than other things. We are always in a hurry to cook food.
13. Adding garlic before onion softness. Don’t do this when you are sauteing onions with garlic.
14. Cooking egg on high heat. Egg will lose its taste.
15. Not giving red meat or pork an initial sear before applying wet heat. Listen all you meat lovers.
16. Not rinsing the rice. It tastes better when you wash off that starch.
17. Forgetting to taste your food at different stages of cooking. You need to keep tasting it again and again.
18. Not realizing that you might not need salt because the ingredients are actually salty. This happens while you are making some salty dish.
19. Not letting the meat rest. After cooking leave some time for the meat to dry out the juices will run out.
20. People are afraid of flavors. Use a lot of spices instead.
21. Not toasting spices like cumin or coriander. Toasting then helps you get aroma.
22. Freaking out when you deviate from memorised recipe. Don’t freak out and keep your head cool.
23. Don’t just dump salt and pepper in at the end. Season it thoroughly throughout.
24. But realising that it takes lot of persistence to be a good cook.
25. Not using appropriate heat. People don’t understand that neither too much, not to less heat is good.
26. Not doubling everything while doubling the recipe. You need to double everything while doubling the recipe.
These are some common mistakes which can be easily avoided. They can make your cooking experience great.