Jim Carrey is the man who provided entertainment in each and every movie does, be it hua whacky movies like ‘The Mask’ or his listed flick like ‘Mr. Popper’s Penguins’. Since starting as a stand up comedian, this man has come a long way since his move to Hollywood. His big break came in 1990 and he has not looked back since then. He has grown as an actor and a comedian by leaps and bounds.
The 54 year old actor was offered several times in the likes of “Ace Ventura: Pet Detective,” “The Mask,” and “Dumb and Dumber”, all in 1994 after his first break. He is known for his highly energetic slapstick performances. He gained further recognition on the onset of 21st century and now he’s is widely known by the masses. He has appeared in some of the movies as well.
Take a look at the facts about Jim Carrey that you (probably) don’t know.
1. He used to make his mother laugh when she was ill. Her developed his comedy skills during that time.
2. On ‘inside the actors’ studio’ he told that his musician father got a regular job to support his family. When he left job, everything fell apart.
3. James Eugene Carrey was born in Canada. He holds citizenship of both Canada and India.
4. Jim started doing stand-up when he was 17. Free years later, he was invited for the tonight show.
5. He quit school at age of 15. He used to work to support his family.
6. Carrey wrote letters to Tupac Shakur while Tupac was in jail. He did this to help him laugh.
7. He used his personal experience with an ex-girlfriend in the movie ‘Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind’. The movie was highly acclaimed.
8. In school the teacher told Carrey that if he kept quiet, he would be given some time to perform. This is how a star was made.
9. Carrey won his first Golden Globe nomination for ‘The Mask’. He didn’t win it.
10. Jim married actress Lauren Holly. The marriage didn’t last long.
11. When he was ten years old Carrey mailed his resume to The Carol Burnett Show hoping to get a job. Unfortunately he didn’t.
12. Carrey has 3 older siblings. They were raised Roman Catholic.
13. Carrey was soon speed by legendary comedian Rodney Dangerfield to open all his your performance. First break.
14. Carrey was engaged to his co-star Renée Zellweger from 1999 to 2000. The engagement then broke.
15. He made his debut at comedy club Yuk Yuk’s. His father helped him prepare the act.
16. Carrey has 6 Golden Globe nominations and 2 wins. He has won best actor twice.
17. Carrey starred in “Ace Ventura: Pet Detective”, “The Mask” and “Dumb and Dumber”. All three of them were big commercial hits.
18. Despite his 2 Golden Globe wins and 6 nominations, he is yet to be nominated for academy awards.
19. Carrey’s daughter was a part of American Idol 2012. Way to go.
20. He considers ‘Dumb and Dumber’ his favourite movie. So do we.
21. He used to wear tap dancing shoes to bed when he was a kid. His parents asked him to perform in middle of the night.
22. Here was almost captain Jack Sparrow. He turned down the role because he was sitting for ‘Bruce Almighty’ the same time.
Carrey is a legend and an amazing performer. He is among the best there are.