If you’re a normal human being that has enough leisure time, you probably spend it in your bedroom. We literally spend hours and hours each day and night in our room, sleeping or reading in bed, or just casually spending time. Naturally, you must want your bedroom to be fun or fancy, creative or minimalist, or maybe themed. Worry not, folks. You’ll surely find something to your liking. Since, so much time is spent in bedrooms, they ought to look clean and beautiful, because what you surround yourself with, deeply affects your moon and productivity. Now decorative and utility things come at a cost, which in the market aren’t exactly low, but why spend so much when you can put together stuff for your bedroom, on a relatively low budget. Considering the versatility with which you can decorate your bedroom, the options are endless, but sticking to a theme helps greatly, and gives your room a defined look that looks much more put-together and refined than usual. Some of the common theme colors that you can’t go wrong with are white and pastels, since it’s very easy to incorporate artsy self-made pieces with them. But if you prefer dark colored themes or even multicolored theme, it’s recommended to pick one major color for the room and add little doses of other minor colors that can compliment the major one without looking too random.
In this list, you’ll find 22 creative and easy DIY ideas to take your bedroom to the next level.
- Photo wall – Make a photo wall in your room, by pasting your own photos or prints on the wall, and arrange them to form different shapes. Use washi tape to frame photo if you want it to be more defined. You can also add some art pieces or magazine cutouts, to make it seem more casual and random.
- Cloud Lamp – It is one of the most beautiful kind of lamp you can make for yourself. Take an average lamp or a bulb in a plastic bottle, and make sure the bulb’s wire is suspending from the ceiling, and cover the lamp with loads of cotton, to make a fluffy cloud like shape. Viola!
- Crate Bookshelf – The name is pretty obvious. Take a few crates, paint them with any color to go with your theme, and stack them up in any order to make your very own display/book shelf.
- Abstract Canvas Painting – Being incredibly simple to make, all it requires is a canvas, acrylic/oil paint and washi tape. Take any size canvas, tape it down in any pattern, symmetrical or not, and paint it randomly, and completely. Now let it dry a bit and take off the tape. Let it dry further and hang it on a wall. It looks very artistic and next time a guest comes over, you can flaunt the artist in you.
- Wine Bottle Vase – If you have any old wine or beer bottles lying around, you can now put them to some use. Paint these bottles with any color, preferably gold, and use them as vases.
Tip : You can use old milk bottles, oil bottles, and perfume bottles to create a little collection, each with a single flower.
- Framed Key Stockpile Quote – Not everyone has spare keyboards lying around, but if you do, then use the keys to form a quote, paste them on a paper and frame it. How creative!
- Wood-board+Nail Mug Display – If you have a mug collection, that’s locked up in the kitchen, then you can flaunt it with this DIY. Take some wooden planks, and add hanging hooks to them, and nail in to the wall with those secretly good hammer skills of yours. Hang your coolest mugs and make your bedroom more personal and creative.
- Lace Flag Hanging/Garland – It’s quite simple. Take a strong thread or a thin rope, and fold lacey or colored paper cutouts (in circular or diamond shapes) over the rope, staple the bottom where the fold overs connect and hang them above your bedpost or your photo wall.
- Cracked Plate Decor – Everyone cracks plates once in a while, and if your plate happens to have big cracked parts, then you can implement this DIY. Glue the pieces back together, trace the cracks with paint, and put them on display on a wall. Not everyone will appreciate this, but that is what art is about.
- Old Record Wall Display Piece – Paste the broken pieces of an old broken record together, a few centimeters apart, recreating the original circular form, on a painted canvas, to create this beautiful decor piece.
Or if you have some old ones that you do not use, you can arrange them in a symmetrical form, to make this creative display below.
- Ladder Display. It’s quite simple. If your single ladder has wide-enough footstools, you can push it up against a wall, and use it as a display shelf.
- Ladder Bookshelf – If you have ladders like the ones in the picture below, then you can add wooden planks to the steps, and use it as bookshelf. Not only is it very useful, compact and spacious, bout also a creative masterpiece which will be quite affordable.
- Curtain-tent Bed Canopy – Now bed canopies look very beautiful and nobody can deny that. All you need is white sheets/curtains and something to suspend it from the ceiling. (Tip : Add fairy lights.)
- Tree Log Coffee/Bedside Table – Tree-logs are not hard to come by at all. Take two or three tree logs of different sizes and paint the logs in either black or white and use them as your bedside table.
- Photo/Polaroids Hanging – Take some rope, hang photos on them using clips. (Tip : Use fancy cloth hanging pins or simply add sparkling tape to make normal once prettier.)
- Golden Mason Jar Pen Holder – Take any kind of old jar, paint them up with the colors according to the theme you are going for, and add it to your study table. It looks really cute and artsy.
- Frame + Wool Yarn Thread Fancy Bedpost/Decor Piece – Take a wooden frame, use wool threads to wrap around this frame in random patterns, and secure them using tape or knots. Depending on the size of the frame, it can be used as bed post, or just a normal frame to be put on your wall.
- Iron Mesh Mood Board – Use iron wires to create a mesh, like in the image below. You can use hot glue or super glue to make sure the wires are well stuck and sturdy. Clip on, anything that represents your mood, your photos, invitations, or your weekly planner and keep your desk organised.
- DIY Ribbon/Lace Chandelier – It’s quite simple, you’ll need a bulb that is suspending in mid-air through wires, a circular frame like a hoolahoop, some rope to suspend it and lots of ribbons/lace. Take the circular loop, tie one of end of a lace ribbon to the loop, and let the other end suspend. Repeat this, until the whole loop is covered, now tie three pieces of rope to the loop, and collecting the other ends together, tie them as well. Now suspend it at the height of the bulb, through the ceiling, and don’t forget to first pass the loop through the bulb before fixing in the ceiling.
- Washi Tape Feature Wall Decor – Use washi tape to create a feature wall. (tip : Try to create simple geometric figures.)
- Wall Photo Clock – A clock movement mechanism motor and a twelve photos will help you create something to make your room more interesting. Maybe then you will start using clocks for time, instead of your smartphone.
- Floral Monogram Personalized Alphabet – It’s beautiful and personalized and gives the perfect touch of flora to your room. Cut out any alphabet from a cardboard, cover it with glue and add faux flowers and leaves to it.
DIY Room Decor Ideas
Upgrade your room by a notch, through these great ideas. None of them is too complicated, and will satisfy the creative streak in you. DIYs are a great way to save money as well as personalize your decor. Be it putting together a pen stand or a complete furniture piece, the satisfaction you’ll garner from creating something on your own, will definitely be great. Good luck!