J.Jayalalithaa was a former actress, and late chief minister of Tamilnadu. She was fondly called by the people of Tamilnadu as ‘Puratchi thalaivi Amma’. She dedicated her life in the welfare of the people of Tamilnadu. Coming up from a non political family background, what she has achieved in the field of politics is tremendous. She set a benchmark for herself, and for her party, AIADMK. Being a brave and mentally strong lady, she was also called as ‘The Iron Lady’. Aged 68, she passed away on the 6th of December, in Chennai, Tamilnadu.”. She provided various financial and non financial support to the people especially for the lower income groups.
Stated below are 20 facts of the Iron Lady that one should know:
1. She was born on 24th February, 1948.
She was born on 24th February, 1948, to parents Jayaram and Vedhavalli.
2. She was trained in various forms of dance and music.
She was passionate about dance and music and was trained in classical music, piano and classical dances of various forms.
3. She lost her father when she was 2.
Jayalalithaa lost her father Jayaraman, at age of 2 years.
4. She was inclined towards reading.
She was always fond of reading, and during her career as an actor, she often spent the breaks between shoots to read.
5. She was compelled to take up acting as a career.
Jaya was compelled to begin acting at a young age to support her family’s financial needs.
6. The beginning of her acting career.
Jayalalithaa’s first film in the film industry was ‘Vennira Aadai’, which came out in the year 1965.
7. She added an extra ‘a’ to her name in the year 2001.
It was only in the year 2001 that Jayalalitha added an extra ‘a’ in her name due to numerology.
8. She has acted in a total of over 140 films.
Jayalalithaa has acted in an over of 140 films in various languages like Tamil, Telugu and Kannada.
9. She was introduced to politics by Dr. M. G. Ramachandran.
She was introduced to politics by her co-actor and guru, Dr. MGR. She joined the party AIADMK, in the year 1982.
10. None of her family members had lived beyond 60 years.
None of Jaya’s family members had lived beyond 60 years. Therefore, in her 60th birthday celebrations, she stated that since none had lived for that long, every year she got to live from then on was a bonus year. Seen in this picture are Jaya and her mother, Vedhavalli.
11. She lost her mother when she was 22.
Jaya lost her mother (seen in the picture above) when she was only 22 years old.
12. She had a brother, called Jayakumar.
Jayalalithaa had a brother named Jayakumar, who passed away in 1995.
13. She never got the chance to do her under graduation.
Jaya did not get the opportunity to do her UG degree, even though she secured admission in the very famous Stella Maris College, in Chennai.
14. She did her schooling in Church Park convent, Chennai.
Jaya did her schooling in the Sacred Heart Matriculation higher secondary school, known as Church Park, in Chennai.
15. She followed the guidance of Dr.MGR, who was her guide.
Jaya constantly followed the advice of actor, and chief minister of state, Dr.MGR, and looked up to him as an inspiration.
16. She knew various languages, including Tamil.
Jayalalithaa was fluent in a number of languages that included Tamil, Telugu, English, Kannada, Malayalam and Hindi.
17. She always stood for the rights of the people of Tamilnadu.
Jaya always fought for the rights of the people of Tamilnadu, including the very famous Cauvery issue.
18. She battled for life for almost 73 days in hospital.
Jaya was admitted in the Apollo Hospital, Chennai, on 22nd September, 2016, due to dehydration. She received treatment for over 73 days and battled for life, before she passed away on 5th December, 2016.
19. She has introduced a number of schemes for the betterment of the people.
Jayalalithaa introduced a number of schemes to improve the living conditions of the people of Tamilnadu. It included Amma Baby care kits, Amma’s Education Scheme, Amma Salt, Amma seeds, Amma Canteens, Amma Marriage halls etc.
20. She passed away on 5th December, 2016.
J.Jayalalithaa passed away on the 6th of December, 2016, and was cremated to rest near the Marina Beach.