Columbus belonged to a middle class family and was born during the middle ages in the Italy. Most people during that time were poor and a few were rich.
Talking about the Columbus day, it falls on the same day as Thanksgiving day in Canada. This day is an official holiday in several countries especially in the Americas and elsewhere which is also officially celebrated as the anniversary of Christopher Columbus’ arrival in and the discovery of the American Continent on October 12, 1492.
Look at some of the facts about Columbus Day, the day of Americans.
1. This day is celebrated on every second Saturday of October. Before it became a federal holiday in 1972, it was celebrated on October 12.
2. When he set to sail for the expedition, he was given 3 ships which came with 90 men.
3. Christopher Columbus was a beacon of hope for early Italian-Americans. Discovery of America led to the employment, new life, suspicion and hostility.
4. Columbus was convinced that he’d find a way far east. They also believed the fact that earth is round.
5. He never stepped in the North America. During all four of his trips, he landed on the Caribbeans.
6. The goal of his voyage was to find a Western sea route to India and China. He ended up finding America.
7. Colorado was the first day to recognize Columbus day. The government recognized it in as early as 1905.
8. He decimated the native Americans. He thought that Indians would make fine servants.
9. He rewarded his commanders with sex slaves. They were girls of 9 or 10.
10. He was the governor of Caribbean. He used torture and mutilation to govern.
11. The Santa Maria did not make the return trip to Spain because it ran aground on Christmas Day. Because of this, 40 men had to stay on the island Hispaniola.
12. The holiday on the second Monday of every October is a United States event. But Columbus is celebrated by many other countries around the world.
13. We often hear that Columbus discovered America. However, many people believe that it wasn’t Columbus but other people who discovered it.
14. Hawaii, Dakota, Alaska don’t celebrate this day. They have their own reasons for that.
15. In Virginia, Columbus Day is celebrated along with Yorktown Victory Day. Two great things at same time.
16. The first celebration of Columbus day took 300 years to happen. That’s way too long.
17. The Columbus expeditions introduced new foods, fibers, diets and trade opportunities. It discovered a whole new world for the people.
18. Berkeley California replaced the day with Indigenous Peoples’ Day in 1992. Several cities followed since then.
19. Because Christopher Columbus was Italian, Italian-Americans celebrate Columbus Day as a celebration of their heritage. That’s pretty fair actually.
via Columbus was a great man or an evil man who just invaded America, it’s on you to decide. Take your time.