Hurricanes are among the most destructive forces on the earth. It refers to the enormous storms covering thousands of square kilometers. The winds are more than 74 mph shock roughly estimates to 119 kmph.
When the weathermen tell you to be safe and take cover, the last thing you want to be worried about is whether you are prepared. You should be prepared well in advance. This can yield high savings. Be prepared before the catastrophe strikes.
If you look at the forecasts of hurricanes again and again and live in the prone areas, the first and foremost thing you need to do is educate yourself. Even if you don’t live in such areas, you should still keep yourself updated with all this stuff. Spare your time and learn something. Learn and spread the knowledge
1. Check your insurance coverage. Make sure it reflects your current state of your home.
2. Be ready in advance. You should not freak out in the end.
3. Check the vulnerability of your home to storm, surge, flooding and wind. They can affect your family.
4. Make sure that the galvanized sheeting on the roof is fastened. If yes, well and good. If not, go do it.
5. Stock yourself up on food and water. Carry non perishable goods with you.
6. Go to the basements. If not possible, go to any place in the home without windows.
7. Go through the community evacuation routes. Be prepared.
8. Stay with your family. Leave in one car if possible.
9. Obey local orders to evacuate. Don’t rush and do anything in hurry.
10. Evacuation should be priority if you live in mobile home. You are at a risk of being injured.
11. Stock your emergency survival kit with basic survival items. Have at least 2 week of supplies.
12. Don’t take too much stress. Make arrangements with family and friends.
13. Gather all the important documents with you. Don’t miss out on any of them.
14. Keep lumber, plywood, timber, etc. handy. They will help in battering down purposes.
15. Find a shelter. You need to have a place to stay.
16. Take a shelter 2 hours before the storm hits. Be safe.
17. At the time of such disasters, calls at emergency numbers remain unanswered. Be prepared ask by yourself.
18. Stay tuned to weather alerts. Stick to reliable radio and TV channels.
Be smart, be safe. Don’t hurt yourself. Don’t freak out.