Dilip Kumar is an Indian film actor and producer. His original name was Muhammad Yusuf Khan. The actor is also known as ‘Tragedy King’ and described as ‘the ultimate method actor’ by Satyajit Ray.
He was born on 11 December 1922 in Peshawar, Pakistan. He was born in a family of 12, his father Lala Ghulam Sarwar was a fruit merchant. His family relocated in the late 1930s to Bombay, India. He was schooled at Barnes School, Deolali. He married Saira Banu and Asma Khan. He initially entered in the film industry with Bombay Talkies, first for script writing in urdu and then acted.
Some of the interesting facts about Dilip Kumar are:
1. He is the first Bollywood superstar whose birth was born in Pakistan.
2. His name ‘Dilip Kumar’ was given to him by Devika Rani.
3. Dilip Kumar was mentored by Ashok Kumar, also got his first film on Ashok ji’s recommendation.
4. His first film was Jwar Bhata in 1944.
5. Dilip Kumar got his name and fame from the Jugnu movie in 1947.
6. He won 8 Filmfare awards and was nominated in 19 Filmfare nominations in his entire Film career.
7. He married Saira Banu at the age of 44 who was just 22 then in 1966.
8. He married Asma, a Hyderabadi girl in 1980, however marriage didn’t last long.
9. Love story of Dilip Kumar and Madhubala is more famous than his marriage. They parted their ways as Madhubala’s family opposed their relationship.
10. He was awarded Nishan-e-Imtiaz, the highest Civilian award by Pakistan in 1998.
11. Dilip Kumar have an autobiography named as ‘The Substance And The Shadow’.
Featured Image via